Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homeschooling 2012 -2013

I thought I would share what we are using in our homeschool this year.

Ashton 8th grade

Math - a combination of Saxon and Aleks.com
Grammar - Analytical Grammar - love it so far
Spelling - Sequential Spelling
History - Unit study on the Civil War and Streams of Civilization
Science - Apologia General Science and Physical Science
Bible - Answers for Kids
Handwriting - Handwriting without tears
Literature - a selection of books and literature studies
Writing is worked into his other subjects for now.


Cyrus Grade 4

Math - Horizon 4
Grammar - Winston Grammar with some things added
Spelling - Spelling Connections
History - Unit Study on the Civil War and Streams of Civilization
Science - Exploring Creation with Zoology 1: Flying Creatures
Bible - Answers in Genesis
Handwriting - Handwriting without Tears
Literature - a variety of books


Genesis Grade 2

Math - Horizon 2
Grammar - Winston Grammar with some things added
Spelling - Spelling Connections
History - Unit Study on the Civil War and Streams of Civilization
Science - Exploring Creation with Zoology 1: Flying Creatures
Bible - Answers in Genesis
Handwriting - Handwriting without Tears
Reading/Phonics - Abeka

I'm sure you noticed that all 3 do the same history and Bible.  Though it is not exactly the same for each.  Ashton gets his beefed up a bit so it is more his level.  It helps me to have at least some of their subjects together.  Cy and Gen do a lot of the same things but according to their ability or level.  In all honesty, elementary teaches the same stuff over and over just adding to the difficulty each year.  Do you really need to learn what a noun is every year or just learn it well the first time and continuously use it from there on out?

The children also take piano lessons, play sports, participate in different clubs, and take classes with our homeschool group.  We are also blessed enough to be able to travel with Joe, which provides for lots of field trips.  It has been wonderful for our study on the Civil War.  We also homeschool year round with breaks here and there.

I'm very pleased with the curriculum we are using right now.  One thing I always try to remember if it is not working for your child it is okay to not finish it and get something that does.

1 comment:

need your help mom said...

Hi I just saw your blog and I am blessed to see it. I am the only homeschooler in my church and my family. My husband is an over the rode truck and is working in Canada. Which his hard since I feel is the only person that can relate to me other than Jesus. I started doing my own curiclum my first year.Then I decided to hire a teacher to help. Next my girls went to our churches private school and now we doing a online program public school. The work is much more advance but I feel like over whelm with it. I almost don't know if they are better off going to regular school, wheither it be public,private, or charther. However I get this feeling to change my curiculm to something a little more independent as when I first started. I know God has not given a spirit of fear, but I guess I am feeling fearful. I have this pressure with the school that does not give me peace and is taking the fun out, by always needing to be at a certain goal. Although my girls are doing well it feels like I can't in dept with a certain subject because we will fall behind.