Monday, February 27, 2012

Turkey Sandwich

It was lunch time and I knew I had some hoagie buns in the fridge that needed to get used up. My oldest son brought them home last week because someone was going to throw them out. He told me I knew you could use them for something. So after some thought I remembered I had some leftover turkey in the fridge from this weekend. I had cooked a whole turkey that I picked up around Thanksgiving really cheap. This is what I threw together and the kids said it was delicious. I'll have to admit I agree. I didn't really measure the ingredients so these are just estimations of the amounts used.

2-3 cups chopped turkey
1/2 onion minced
1/2 small can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cups fresh spinach chopped
6 hoagie buns
butter
american cheese slices

I buttered the hoagie buns and toasted them in the oven while I prepared the filling.

In a 2 quart sauce pan I put the turkey and onion and sauteed for a few minutes. Then I added the soup and spices. Stirred until well heated. After I turned off the heat I added the spinach and mix with the meat.

I then pulled the buns from the oven and put meat on one half of bun. Then put american cheese on top. I put it back in the oven until cheese was melted.

It has all my qualifications for a good meal: cheap, easy, and tasty.

No comments: